Air ducts are a common sight in most homes and businesses. They’re essential for delivering fresh air to the rooms they serve, and they’re usually easy to access. However, like any other equipment, air ducts can become dirty and require cleaning. In this blog post, we will explore the various benefits of having your air ducts cleaned by a professional; specifically, we will discuss the dangers of not doing so and what you can do to ensure that your ducts are clean and healthy.
What is a duct inspection, and why do I need one?
Inspection of air ducts is a necessary part of maintaining a healthy home. Vents help circulate air and protect your home from fire. Air ducts may become dirty and clogged over time, impeding airflow and increasing cooling or heating costs. A duct inspection can identify problems with the duct work and recommend cleaning and maintenance.
A duct inspection typically includes the following steps:
1. Inspection of the interior surfaces of the ductwork using an infrared camera to identify any areas that may be dirty or damaged.
2. Testing for obstructions in the ductwork with a particular device that sends an infrared signal and measures how long it takes for the call to return. Blocks can include insulation, dust, pet hair, or bugs.
3. Measurement of airflow through each section of the ductwork with an instrument called an endotracheal tube (ET). This allows engineers to identify areas where airflow is impaired, whether due to blockages or erosion of the surface coating on the tubes.
4. Recommendations for cleaning and maintenance are given based on results from steps three and four.
Signs you need a duct inspection.
If you have noticed a decrease in your heating and cooling efficiency, or if you notice unusual noise or smells coming from your home’s air ducts, it might be time for an inspection. A duct inspection can identify potential problems with your ductwork, such as damage from mold, insects, or rodents, and can help improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system.
Here are five signs that you need a duct inspection:
1. You’ve noticed a decrease in your heating and cooling efficiency.
2. You see evidence of pests or mold inside your home’s air ducts.
3. Your home experiences unusual noise or smells from the air ducts.
4. Your attic is full of debris and insulation particles that could be blocking airflow in the lower parts of the house, such as the basement and main level rooms.
5. You have had previous problems with your heating and cooling system that could have been related to poor airflow in your home’s air ducts, such as inaccurate thermostat settings
Beware of these duct cleaning “red flags.”
There are a few “red flags” to watch for when choosing a duct cleaning company. Here are six to look out for:
1. The company has no references or documentation of its work.
2. The company is based in a rural area and needs the equipment or expertise to clean air ducts in urban areas.
3. The company charges very high fees for services that may not be necessary or even necessary.
4. The company offers “free” duct cleaning if you sign up for their mailing list or advertising campaign. However, these offers often come with undisclosed terms and conditions, requiring you to call them regularly for maintenance services or repairs.
5. The company uses unmarked trucks and vans to carry out its work, making it difficult to determine whether they are legitimate businesses or criminals trying to scam homeowners out of money.
6. The company’s employees appear unprofessional and do not seem familiar with the proper procedures for cleanings ducts
Think you need your ducts cleaned? Get a duct inspection first.
Are your air ducts dusty and dirty? You may not realize if so, but they could use a good cleaning. Ducts can collect dust, dirt, and other debris over the years. This buildup can cause the insulation to deteriorate and create hazardous conditions in your home. A duct inspection can help determine if your ducts need to be cleaned and, if so, which type of cleaning is most appropriate.
If you need clarification on whether or not your ducts need to be cleaned, schedule an inspection from a San Antonio duct expert like The Home Depot. During this visit, our expert will check for potential problems with your heating and cooling systems as well as inspect the condition of the insulation in your ductwork. If you have any doubts about your air conditioning or heating system, we recommend scheduling an inspection before making any cleaning decisions.
Like most homeowners, you probably assume that your air ducts are dirty and need to be cleaned. However, before calling a professional, it might be a good idea to talk to an air duct expert in San Antonio. According to the Air-Duct Cleaning Association (ADCA), duct cleaning is one of the most common professional services. But before getting your ducts cleaned, ensure there is a problem and not just dust accumulation. Duct cleaning should only be done when necessary and only by a qualified professional who uses the latest technology and equipment.