You’ve been dealing with a lot lately. Your health hasn’t been the best, and it seems like every time you turn around, something else is going wrong. You’re tired, fed up, and frankly, just ready to give up. But then something happens that changes everything.
You’re given the chance to try out an electric wheelchair. It’s new, it’s different, and it’s scary. But you decide to give it a try anyway. And you’re glad you did.
In this article, we’ll discuss some of the things you should know before making the switch to an electric wheelchair. We’ll also talk about some of the benefits that come with using one, and how it can help you get back to doing the things you love.
What Is an Electric Wheelchair?
An electric wheelchair is a type of mobility aid that helps people with difficulty walking or moving around to get around more easily. It is a wheelchair that is propelled by an electric motor, which means that the person using it doesn’t need to use any effort to move it.
There are a few different types of electric wheelchairs available on the market, but they all have one thing in common: they make life easier for the people who use them. Whether you’re recovering from an injury and need some help getting around, or you have a long-term condition that makes walking difficult, an electric wheelchair can provide you with the independence and comfort you need to get through your day.
Where to Find Electric Wheelchairs?
There are a few different places you can find electric wheelchairs. The most obvious place to start would be a medical supply store or Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). However, there are also a few online retailers that specialize in electric wheelchairs.
When looking for an electric wheelchair, it’s important to find one that is the right size and fit for you. You’ll also want to make sure that the chair is comfortable and easy to operate. It’s important to test out the chair before you buy it to make sure it’s a good fit for your needs.
Advantages of an Electric Wheelchair
Think about the advantages of having an electric wheelchair.
For one, it’s much more convenient than a traditional wheelchair. You can go up and down stairs, navigate tight spaces and even drive it like a car. Plus, most electric wheelchairs are lightweight and fold up easily, so you can take them with you wherever you go.
And unlike a traditional wheelchair, an electric one gives you back some of your independence. With the press of a button, you can go where you want to go, when you want to go there. You’re in control.
Common Types of Electric Wheelchairs
Today, there are a variety of electric wheelchairs that you can choose from. Depending on your needs and preferences, some of the more common types to consider include:
- Standard chairs: These are typically the most affordable option and come in different sizes and designs. They offer excellent maneuverability and generally have basic features such as a joystick control, adjustable arm rests, leg rests, and footrests.
- All-terrain chairs: These are ideal for those who need to move over all types of terrain. They feature large tires and more powerful motors than standard wheelchairs so that you can take them wherever you need to go.
- Heavy Duty Chairs: These are designed for those who need extra support due to their size or weight. They typically have wider seats and heftier frames to accommodate larger individuals, as well as wider drive wheels for improved stability.
Keep in mind that there are other options out there that can provide the specific features you need, including tilt-in-space models, standing chairs, power assist manual wheelchairs, portable electric models, and more. Doing your research ahead of time will help ensure that you find the perfect chair for your specific needs and lifestyle.
Maintenance Guide for an Electric Wheelchair
If you’ve decided to purchase an electric wheelchair, then regular maintenance is an important part of the package. Keeping your chair in good condition will help to ensure it continues to run smoothly and efficiently.
To maintain your electric wheelchair, here are a few tips:
- Make sure batteries are regularly recharged and that power cords have no frayed wires or other damage
- Check the wheel bearings and lubricate them occasionally if they feel dry, sticky or slow
- Vacuum or brush the upholstery of your chair to keep it clean
- Keep the joystick free of dirt or grime by wiping it down with a damp cloth
- If necessary, check your manual for instructions on how to adjust the tension on your brakes
- It’s also best practice to have your electric wheelchair serviced regularly.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your electric wheelchair works at top efficiency for many years.
Safety and Comfort Tips for Using an Electric Wheelchair
Now that you’ve decided to purchase an electric wheelchair, you must think about how to stay safe when using it. Safety should be your top priority when operating any type of mobility device. Here are a few tips for keeping safe and comfortable in an electric wheelchair:
- Make sure you are familiar with the controls, including how to operate the brakes and determine the speed setting.
- Practice using the wheelchair in a safe environment before taking it out in public.
- Make sure the wheelchair is properly maintained, including checking for loose parts and ensuring that the battery is properly charged.
- Wear reflective clothing or bright colors so that you are easily visible in low light conditions.
- Avoid busy areas such as hallways or narrow paths as they may be too congested for a wheelchair to maneuver safely.
- Remember to stay alert while driving an electric wheelchair and make sure you take frequent breaks while traveling long distances.
Electric wheelchairs provide a high level of convenience and comfort, and they can be a great solution for people who need assistance getting around. If you’re considering purchasing an electric wheelchair, there are a few things you should know before you make your purchase.
Electric wheelchairs can be a great solution for people who need assistance getting around, and they offer a high level of convenience and comfort. Before you make your purchase, it’s important to consider your needs and preferences and to make sure you choose the right wheelchair for your needs.