Drugs belonging to the steroidal group have wide range of applications. Anabolic androgenic steroids have gained popularity among the recent years as a performance enhancing product specially by the athletes and body builders or power lifters. This article is related to the steroid’s tablets for body building with special reference to Winstrol used orally and its side effects.
Winstrol is the synthetically produced androgenic anabolic steroid. It is similar to the androgen hormone testosterone. It belongs to the list of controlled substance by FDA. It is available with the brand or trade name of stanozolol.
Mechanism Of Action:
As Winstrol is the synthetic derivative of testosterone so basic mechanism of action of Winstrol is that it attaches as an agonist at the androgenic receptor site same as the natural testosterone attaches and brings about effect like natural testosterone would and promotes muscle gains through muscle build-ups; the phenomena are termed as anabolism.
Winstrol is very effective in developing and maintaining muscles. It ensures availability of energy in the form of ATP which energizes and fuels the muscles and allows them to work harder.
Indications For Use:
It has both therapeutic and non-therapeutic indications for use which will be discussed in the following points:
- To prevent hereditary angioedema
- Reduce the intensity of angioedema attacks
- Patients with venous insufficiency
- To address skin changes in venous problems for example in lipo-dermatosclerosis
- Performance enhancer among body builders and power lifters
- Winstrol results in increasing the strength and endurance of the body
- To lose weight through its fat burning properties (used by obese or fashion models to attain a toned figure. Labelled as one of the best fats burning steroid.
- Helps to cope up the fatigue associated with low calorie diet
Winstrol is available in two forms in the pharmacies to facilitate its users in terms of administration and the forms are as follows:
- Solid form, it contains the medicine in tablet or pill form and used via enteral (oral) route.
- Injectable form in which the drug is in the aqueous suspension form and used as Winstrol injection.
Dosage For Cutting Cycle:
Winstrol has proven very effective when used in cutting cycles. It helps in fat loss along with preserving lean muscle mass. Winstrol tablet effects are not as promising as injection form so injectable form is preferred. Body builders often use Winstrol in cutting cycles to burn fat and it helps to give them a lean and ripped physique as muscles are properly defined.
It also flushes out all extra-cellular fluid and helps in becoming leaner and slimmer. It does not aromatize hence, does not convert into estrogen so helps in burning both type of fat found sub-cutaneous and visceral fat. It increases the vascularity of the veins hence; distended veins help in a more toned and ripped body. In females it can cause the masculinization. If necessary, consumption should be in small doses and with short span of cycles to avoid the possible adverse effects associated with it and to preserve the femininity.
Dosage For Men:
The cycle is of six weeks and the starting dose is of 20 milligrams per day for 2 weeks then an increment of 5 milligrams is done making the overall dose 25 milligram per day and then it is continued till six weeks.
Dosage For Women:
For cutting cycle in females relatively lesser dose is required as compared to men and it can be use in the cutting cycle of up to 8 weeks with the daily dose of 5 milligrams.
Winstrol is used both as a bulking and cutting agent. After the recommended cycle the following Winstrol results are seen:
- Very effective for fat loss when used in cutting cycle but one has to ensure that a ow calorie diet is being followed.
- Winstrol also addresses the fatigue associated with low calorie intake.
- More promising results are seen when combined with other anabolic steroid specially if muscle gain or bulking is to be required.
- Winstrol also aids in recovering from any muscular injury after work out sessions.
- It gives strength, improves endurance of the athlete’s body.
- Can be used both by males and females.
- Among one of the few anabolic steroids which are safe for women, but still lowest possible dose and short cycle is recommended.
Every drug alongside benefits also imparts some adverse effects, some are common and some are rare but possibility is there, physician always has to weigh the risk and benefit ratio before prescribing the drug.
It is very necessary to have a detailed discussion with the physician and after proper consultation a treatment plan should be devised with the complete knowledge of all possible side effects that can occur to ensure no life-threatening situation occurs. The adverse effects are as follows:
Common Side Effects:
Common side effects are as follows:
- Changes in skin color
- Difficulty sleeping
- Acne (new or worsens if already present)
- Ankle swelling (retention of serum electrolytes)
- Reversibly deranged LFTs
- Bladder irritability
- Increased or decreased libido in both genders
- High levels of LDL cholesterol and low levels of HDL.
Rare Side Effects:
These are not to occur frequently but possibility is there so if encountered should be reported to the physician immediately.
- Dose related adverse reactions
- Causes birth defects so not recommended if you are pregnant or planning to conceive.
- Not recommended in lactating mothers as the drug passes through milk and cause serious problems in infants.
- Cholestatic jaundice that can lead to hepatic necrosis and death in extreme cases.
- Men can experience frequent erections and phallic enlargement.
- Testicular atrophy, oligospermia and inhibition of testicular function can lead to impotence.
- Menstrual irregularities and clitoral enlargement are observed in females
- Gynecomastia in males.
- Drug addiction is also there if used for prolong time period.
- Hoarseness of voice in females.
- Hirsutism and male pattern baldness in women.
- Pre-mature closure of epiphyseal plate leading to stunted growth.
- Increased creatine and creatinine excretion along with raised serum creatinine phosphokinase.
- Some irreversible virilization can occurs in females. So must be dealt with care.
Each individual may experience different or some of the above-mentioned adverse effects. Timely detection any prevention is the key to preserving good health.